We finally did it. We pushed through our first ever geo-location based coupon through Facebook Deals.
For those of you not in the know, Facebook Deals is a way for local businesses to harness the power of Facebook to attact new customers and reward already-loyal customers for visiting their store. In our case, it's a "punch card" setup, meaning you have to "check-in" multiple times to unlock the coupon, but we can also do a single check-in coupon as well. Here's how it works:
- First you have to have a Facebook account. Get signed up here (it's free): Facebook Home Page
- While you're at it, why not become a fan of ours on Facebook? It's a great place to get up-to-the-minute news and updates, plus a great community of local hobbists!
- You also have to have a smartphone, or at least a phone that can use apps or browse the web.
- Find the "Facebook Places" area on either the moble web or the Facebook app on your phone.
- Select "Check In" and find Roger's Hobby Center.
- Do this five times, and on the fifth visit, you'll receive $5 off your purchase of $20 or more (through the end of February - at that point, the coupon will change, and the check-ins will reset).
- You have to be in the store to check in! It uses the GPS in the phone to ensure you can't game the system.
There's really nothing to it. Once you can claim the deal, simply show the screen of your phone to the cashier, and they'll apply the deal to your purchase, assuming it meets the requirements. You can't sandbag these either - you only have three hours to use the deal on your fifth visit, or it will expire.
Obviously, if you have questions, I'll direct you to our Facebook page - that's the easiest place to ask us questions, and get some answers. You can also e-mail us, or simply stop in and ask. We'll be happy to help you out!